Monday, November 10, 2008

The Final Out

I attend a handful of Padres games per season. Most of these games, taken by themselves, have little impact on the overall success of the team that season. Whether the Padres win or lose is somewhat irrelevant.

What keeps me in my seat for the entire game is not the uncertainty of the outcome, the thrill of watching a big league ball game, or even my passion for the sport. Rather, it is the possibility that Trevor Hoffman might get called upon to close out a game, and jog in from center field to "Hells Bells." I love the anticipation of Hoffman's departure from the bullpen, the blaring music, the blackened scoreboard, and most of all the energy of the crowd.

If Buster Olney is correct, I may have witnessed my last "Hells Bells" in Petco Park. While I realize Hoffman's skills have diminished, he is not only still an effective closer, but a fixture in the San Diego community, and the reason I never leave my seat until the final out has been recorded. From a pure baseball/profit-making perspective Trevor Hoffman might not be worth keeping around for more than $4-5 million, but from my perspective (as a guy who merely watches the games rather than signs the paychecks), Hoffman is worth, assuming he is willing to agree to a 1-year deal, whatever it takes to sign him.

2 comments:

kevin said...

I dont have a problem with letting Hoffman go, BUT the way the Padres handled the situation is absolutely atrocious. Hoffman wanted to meet with the front office in person to discuss his future and the Padres declined and instead told Hoffman through his agent. Hoffman is furious and he should be.
Peter Gammons said that we might have the lowest payroll in baseball and that is unacceptable coming from a publicly financed stadium in a mid size market. Getting younger is one thing but being callous and cheap is something else.

Daniel Gettinger said...

I agree with you about the cheapness. The payroll should be no lower than $70 million. The stadium was approved by the voters with the understanding that it would allow for the team to be in the middle of the pack in payroll, not near the bottom. If Moores can no longer afford the team, I would like to see it sold to someone who can.

I do however have a problem with letting Hoffman go (assuming he would agree to a 1-year deal). The team will almost certainly not be that great this season. Hoffman's presence will cost them a playoff a spot (either through absolute performance or by tying up resources via an inflated salary). Therefore, because "Trevor Time" is so much fun, and he has been with the team for so long, I would really like to see him pitch in a Padres uniform for at least one more season.